Warning!

This blog contains effusive rhetoric and profligate diatribes. Read at your own risk.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Mental Health

It is no accident that I named this blog as I did; I have always felt that my neuroses were a gift, that they were the source of my uniqueness and ability to see beyond the boundaries of life as we know it. However, those who walk around with their head in the clouds have a habit of stubbing toes and falling off cliffs; I hit such an impediment recently and have officially decided that I need some medicine and/or therapy to take the edge off some of my more debilitating conditions. Ultimately, my insights into possible higher realities and ways of exploring them, either with our imaginations or through miraculous technological advancement, do little good if I am so thoroughly paralyzed by the miseries of my day-to-day existence that I am never able to actually work on organizing my thoughts into some sort of coherent useful structure. An aversion to structure and an aversion to medicine have been parts of who I felt I was in the past, but for the first time I'm aware of, I have deliberately rather than subconsciously opted to discard these notions and try to steer the direction of my personal evolution toward something slightly easier to live with. If this experiment does produce a notable diminution in my creative or imaginative abilities, then I will worry about figuring out how to keep the two in balance; for now, my long-standing assumption that mundanity would take a mile if I gave it an inch has proved itself too much not-fun for me to maintain it any more. I believe I shall still be equally blessed by madness even after I've discarded one or two relatively boring components of my neurosis; the idea that they were all inextricably interlinked no longer rings true to me.

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting to learn, and I hope you are in fact able to find medicine or therapy to help. I too suspect that, if you can avoid depression and physical pain, you will not suffer for a lack of interesting ideas. Finding the right treatment will probably be the hard part. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back, I never got that medicine or therapy, though I did waste more than a thousand dollars on medical insurance this year as a result of this decision. I acquired a couple new self-destructive habits during the interim, and they appear to have enabled me to stabilize without having to confront my aversion to doctors; I choose to take this as a good thing, and only wish I hadn't managed to piss away money on this miscalculation.

    ReplyDelete