Warning!

This blog contains effusive rhetoric and profligate diatribes. Read at your own risk.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Policies Against Violence (and my "role models", more or less)

Today in an employment-training class that I've decided to take, we were given a handout which details the responsible organization's policies, which are mostly the standard boilerplate that literally all corporations, profit or nonprofit, with more than about five employees are invariably required to use today.  Prohibitions against sexual harassment, discrimination, workplace violence and so forth are used without a moment's thought, because it has today become unacceptible under any circumstances to dissent with the politically correct majority's officially designated opionion.  And for the most part I'm okay with that, but something about that last one (not the "and so forth") has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way, and today I managed to figure out why.

I am strongly prone to the use of forceful rhetoric in my passionate argument of those (many) issues where I have a deep conviction as to my beliefs.  I often swear, even more often use violent imagery, and sometimes even do things like punch my other palm or beat my fist once or twice on my chest, just for the sake of emphasis.  While I've seen other Zero-Tolerance Workplace Violence Policies before, this is the first time I can recall having read one explicitly call out verbal belligerence as something to avoid...while this policy was fairly apparently a "reasonable for the sake of nobody wants to get punched," rather than "zero-tolerance for the sake of avoiding litigation in case someone punches someone else and we are perceived as not having condemned the action strongly enough", and I'm thus fairly certain that I couldn't be held as being in violation of it unless I actually used genuine threats or the like, it was still something of a shock to recognize that I had sort of breached this policy before it was even explained to me, and so I considered it at some length (and fortunately was never called upon to sign "I agree", only "I acknowledge receipt of this policy"; I've been known to take the former with disproportionate seriousness and am not prone to signing it when any misgivings occur to me, even if they are very tentative).  It took until after a lengthy walk around the neighborhood, and then most of the way through my bus ride home, before I had fully digested the mental meal, and came to the conclusion that it spurred me to, one which I thought was important enough to be worth blogging about.

I've had many heroes and inspirations before, and today I asked myself which historical figure I most want to be like; usually I automatically answer questions like that with my three stock admirations: Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr., and Mohandas Gandhi.  But having phrased the question in this particular way, I decided that these answers would not suffice; Lincoln believed in the redeeming value of hard work as I do not, King was profoundly religions, and Gandhi was committed to living pacifistically under even the worst of circumstances, a degree of acceptance and endurance that I can only dream of being capable of.  So while I continue to consider all three paragons of humanity, I don't outright seek to emulate them.  Thusly, on the spur of the moment, I came up with two new, at least semi-accurate answers to my own question:  Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin.  I've always idolized the idealized version of the American Revolution, but of its best-known architects, Washington was a soldier and Hamilton did money stuff, so even if their efforts were necessary to the success of the rebellion and the fledgling nation, I don't consider them terribly good role models, as war and finance are not things I ever consider admirable no matter what benefits they may bring.  Jefferson, however, wrote the Declaration of Independence, and Franklin drafted the Bill of Rights; both of them were idea men, visionary statesmen (and in Franklin's case also a scientist) who argued passionately in favor of ideas which they believed could change the world, and succeeded in doing so.  Both of these will do splendidly, at least for now, as examples for me to follow.  They wrote words that forged a new nation in line with their principles; I want to do the same, and once again found a regime which better satisfies my ideology, regardless of possible opposition from the ruling monolith whose thumb I have been under for longer than I can stand.

So, speaking of bloody insurrections against the resident evils of unjust government, you can see why I might think that a blanket prohibition against violence, in a workplace just by way of example, isn't the best idea ever.  But that's not it exactly...it's not like I'm pro-violence or anything, even in the face of fairly serious provocation.  I don't believe that killing people solves much of anything, ever; much as the idea of toppling ivory towers and making the lifeblood of oppressors run in the streets may occasionally appeal to me, I have zero desire to actually live out such a harrowing experience, even if success in my stated aims was guaranteed after a price in exclusively-villainous lives was paid.  So it's not that I'm saying we should have violence in the workplace - but I am, very decisively, saying we shouldn't have workplace policies prohibiting violence.  Why?  Because I believe they have the opposite of their intended effect.

H.P. Lovecraft once wrote "The oldest and greatest emotion of man is fear, and the oldest and greatest fear of man is fear of the unknown".  I myself once wrote words to the general effect of "anybody can get used to anything in time".  Put these together, and the message is clear - you can adapt to whatever you may experience in life, but it's very difficult to deal with something that's completely new and foreign to you.  When something you never expected, maybe never even imagined, suddenly happens, there's an effect of paralyzing shock, a deer-frozen-in-the-headlights reaction as your brain scrambles to cope with the sudden occurrence of the unthinkable.  And so, if there's some form of misery we don't want to have to deal with in our daily lives, the worst thing we can possibly do is make that thing unthinkable - because that means that when it happens (and Murphy's Law dictates that, inevitably, it will), we have no hope of handling it effectively, because we're too stunned by the simple fact that it happened.  Thusly, in creating a violence-free zone through the use of laws and policies, we do not protect the people in that zone from violence.  Anyone can break that policy at any time, with consequences they may or may not even care about; a suicidal, nihilistic madman with nothing to lose is a thing that can totally exist (more and more frequently, in our society's current state of economic and interpersonal desperation), and laws or punishments ranging from expulsion to imprisonment to even death mean nothing to such an individual.  Instead of protecting people, all you do with a policy like this is insulate them from the experience of violence, and give them no opportunity to learn strategies to cope with it.  What happens if you're never exposed to chicken pox as a kid?  Same principle here; if you grow up in a bubble and never face any risks, you'll be completely unprepared to defend yourself when something finally does go wrong in your world.

Thusly, as a person who never wants to be a victim of violence, I want these anti-violence policies to go away.  They don't actually work, they make things worse rather than better, and they encourage a false sense of security instead of providing actual aid in keeping people safe.  Ultimately, I agree with the writers of these policies; I want to see a day when everyone can be absolutely sure that violence will not strike in the middle of their workday.  But I have no such confidence now; those policies are empty promises of my safety, which a single fist or bullet could shatter at any moment.  What will protect us?  The dawning of a day in which all people have become utterly inured to the threat of violence, being so completely comfortable with the possibility that it will happen, so confident that they can handle whatever comes, that there's no reason for anyone to ever bother initiating a conflict.  Bullies and brutes use violence as a tool of coercion because it works; in my opinion, it is one of the very few things which actually does.  So in order to feel safe against it, I would need to see it robbed of its persuasive power, and the only way that can ever happen is if our entire society becomes completely devoid of the fear of violence, instead seeing it as just another unfortunate reality to be handled competently if it happens.  We already have this kind of attitude, toward things like tornadoes and building fires; we know they're unlikely, but we make plans to prevent panic and ensure smooth traversal of such vicissitudes.  Man-made disasters should be viewed in exactly the same way, because they are no less inevitable; in any society where every human isn't a mind-controlled robot, some percentage of people are going to snap and lash out in sudden ultraviolence, and we need to accept that as a reality to be dealt with, not obsessively litigated against.

If nobody cares whether violence happens or not, then it almost never will, because it won't be an effective tool for getting what its wielder wants.  So I want to see people develop thick skins and confident survival strategies; that way, the next atrocity that happens will be the first step to ensuring that atrocities will eventually stop happening altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment